This approachable, easy-to-read textbook gives a broad introduction to the history, culture, national customs and current affairs of two of Europe’s least-understood countries. Perfect for the general reader or student keen on learning more about Serbia and Montenegro, this book presents in 10 chapters a comprehensive range of topics, including national cuisine and dress, performing arts, literature and cinema, sports, education, art and architecture. Read and learn more about:
- which Serbian writer drew her inspiration from sojourns in graveyards
- how Montenegro functioned for centuries under an odd, priestly political system
- the importance of religious icons in the Orthodox Church
- why black humor has been raised to an art form in Serbia
- where locals and foreigners alike flock to each summer for the world’s biggest trumpet festival
- which Montenegrin leader sought to seduce half of Europe with his diplomacy and daughters
- just how many international medals Serbian water polo teams have won
Culture and Customs of Serbia & Montenegro is a book that fills a gap in the average Westerner’s knowledge of these two Balkan nations, amicably separated by referendum in 2006, but historically and culturally conjoined forever.
With both countries frequently in the media today for reasons ranging from the troubled status of Kosovo and Adriatic vacationing to European Union ambitions, Russian tycoons and sexy tennis stars, Serbia and Montenegro are increasingly the subject of world interest. Read Culture and Customs of Serbia & Montenegro to learn more about these marvelous nations, their people, history and achievements.
Along with text and photos by Chris Deliso, the book also contains evocative local shots by professional photographers Patrick Horton and Rafael Estefania.