Wonderful, wild Bulgaria is brought to life in this dynamic new guide, written by Lonely Planet authors Richard Watkins and Chris Deliso. The standard sections on history, culture and hundreds of listings are accompanied by 35 detailed maps and special chapters on Bulgarian wine, activities, events and photo highlights.
The best and most up-to-date guide to one of the Balkans’ most exciting countries, Lonely Planet Bulgaria offers fleshed-out coverage of summer on the packed Black Sea coast and the scintillating nightlife of cities like Sofia, Veliko Tarnovo and Plovdiv. Where to find Bulgaria’s best art treasures, medieval monasteries, ski resorts and untouched nature is also laid out for travelers, who can count on the best tips in accommodation, eats and drinking for all budgets.
Chris Deliso, author of the chapters on Bulgarian wine, Northern Bulgaria, Central Bulgaria and Southern Bulgaria, singles out the highlights from a remarkably diverse and ancient land.
- Get spiritual at the cave churches of Rusenski Lom National Park (p 274), or the renowned Rila Monastery in the western Rila Mountains (p 117)
- Drain a glass or two in the wine cellars of Melnik, from where Winston Churchill once ordered the local red (p 134)
- Take in the spa waters of Devin, deep in the lush Rodopi Mountains (p 160)
- Visit Kazanlak’s garrulous open market for some lively local shopping (p 200)
- Wander in and out of Plovdiv’s immortal churches and art galleries in its placid, cobblestoned Old Town (p 138)
Buy from Amazon.fr (en Francais)